Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Seasons of Change...


The word "Change" has been the buzz over the last couple of years. From President Obama's campaign to "Reinvent Yourself" promotions at the gym, change is all the rage. I was laying in bed last night thinking of all the songs about change - Michael Jackson, The Cure, even Hall & Oates. It was hard to get to sleep.

At our wedding in 2005, my father's toast about change turned out to be the valuable words of wisdom that have stuck with my husband and I. With every decision you make in life, you illicit a change. It is impossible to stand still, as change is all around you.

Change is this Mary Englebreit illustration, there is the path you are on, and the one that is no longer an option.

I'm sure you'll agree that change is almost unavoidable. The last two years have brought on more change for our country than we ever expected: the economy fell, our government was rescuing businesses of all shapes (but primarily the large size), and folks were closing their businesses and losing their jobs. Not exactly the change I was hoping for. But through all those tumultuous ebbs and flows, my family was still intact and happy, and fortunately, our home was still ours. This sadly was not the case for everyone I know. Some great local stores closed. Local businesses are challenged. A dear friend had to sell her home in a less than favorable economy. There are definitely losses.

I now believe that we have "seasons" in our lives. The seasons change, trends come and go, things that used to seem vitally important now seem less so. And with those changes I find that people change too. Some friends change and grow with us through the seasons. Some, like an autumn leaf, blow away on a different course. Everyone is on a different journey in their lives. Something that is vitally important to you right now may not even rank on the "Top 10 List" for someone else. You'll continue to change with life's seasons too.

Over the last couple of years, I've found that several key people have fallen out of my life. Maybe we'll meet "down the road", and maybe we won't. I've enjoyed their friendship, and I hope they've enjoyed mine. All the changes that the seasons have brought have put me on a different path. My belief is the friends that love you and want a friendship with you, they will "travel the seasons" with you. And, those that can't, won't. This concept applies to friendships, business relationships, employment, even ways of doing your job.

As a dear friend reminded me "My role is to try and bring out the best in those around me, and be there whenever and wherever they need me."

I really believe my Dad's toast was right on the money when he said "The one thing we can count on in life, besides death and taxes, is change." For me, the way I now work and try to earn a living has changed; and the way I like to spend my free time has adjusted so that I can be with my sweet husband; and that's the road I'm traveling. I'm still me, enthusiastic Kate, but I'm changing. Then again, so is everyone else.

As Mahatma Gandhi once said "
Be the change you want to see in the world." On a more personal level, be the change you want to believe in for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment