Monday, January 10, 2011

Lead me not into Temptation; I can find it all by myself!

Old habits die hard (ain't it the truth!) and new ones take 30 days to make. So, let's call this "not shopping for a year" promise a work in progress...

Day 6: Hurray! My company and I are being interviewed this morning on TV! Many check lists are going off at once... Office cleaned & straight? Thanks Marla & Patty! Props for showing off Padibbles in perfection? All collected and loaded in the car the night before? I wanted to make cupcakes to show off our darling "Hey Cupcake!" series - and my sweet hubbie didn't get the message in time. So, quick, stop off at a good bakery (or Whole Foods) to get pretty ones for the shoot! And, because I'm so nervous, I stopped at another local gourmet market to get another cupcake option.

Should have avoided this place like the plague!

I walk in the door, and the first sign I see says "75% off!" and it's all this really cute and great Christmas stuff - paper napkins, some decorations, etc. And, at "pennies on the dollar" it's so tempting. Really, what could it hurt? Right? So, I grab a couple without even thinking about it (this is my problem!!!) and head to the cashier.

And, this action never crosses my mind the rest of the day. After all, I've done this most of my life. Knee-jerk, impulse purchases are meant to be just that easy. I didn't even remember buying them, or the $6 extra dollars I had spent. Or, at least I didn't until I got home that night, and pulled the package out of my car to bring inside the house (and show my husband). Gulp...

But, it's only $6 bucks, right? Wrong!

My husband is not furious. Worse. He is disappointed. He looks at me with a turned down mouth and disappointment in his eyes. My heart sinks. Not only was this a stupid purchase, it was dumb. It was wasteful. Aren't I part owner of a paper napkin company? It was foolish! If I spent an extra $6 a day, that's $42 a week, or $180 a month, and $2,190.00 a year!!

The next time I think "It's only $6. What could it hurt?"... the answer is MORE THAN YOU KNOW! It all adds up! And, it adds up fast! Really fast!

So, I've screwed up and gave it 100% effort. Since then, I'm back on the wagon. I'm trying to head to Atlanta (for me, Shopping Capital of the USA) to a gift show. My checkbook is safely at home, and I've taken enough money to buy meals and parking, and that's it.

And, just to show you I'm not spending, I was called for buying Girl Scout Cookies, and politely declined. Now, if that's not a good thing, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment